Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF) has established a Pediatric Amino Acid Formula Emergency Assistance Fund through the support of Abbott. This fund is for patients on amino acid-based formulas who have required hospitalizations or emergency room visits as a result of the amino acid-based formula shortage. It will help them with medical and living expenses incurred from the shortage. The fund is accessible to all families who meet the eligibility criteria, regardless of income, on a first-come, first-served basis, to the extent funding is available.
Families can complete their application here or call (855) 949-3915 to begin the application process. They will need to answer a few questions to determine eligibility, including providing the name of their child’s healthcare professional (HCP). PAF will verify details, including contacting designated HCPs, and approve grants to qualifying patients. Grants will be approved in the amount of $4,500 per patient.
What can the Grant be used for?
- Medical expenses not covered by any other third party payor
- Meals for parent/guardian during hospital/ER visit
- Wage loss of parent/guardian due to hospital/ER visit
- Child/Elder Care required for family members during hospital/ER visit
- Hotel stay for parent/guardian during hospital stay
Note: The grant is not to be used as reimbursement for product purchases
Who is Eligible for Help?
- The patient must have a diagnosis of an eligible condition that requires the use of amino acid-based formula for nutrition.
- The patient must have had an in-patient hospital stay or emergency room visit on or after February 17, 2022 for medical issues that were caused by lack of access to amino acid-based formula, including malnutrition, dehydration and issues caused by transitioning from one formula to another.
- The patient must be legal US resident and reside in the US or US territories.
Note: Your child’s treating physician will be asked to verify his/her diagnosis, use of amino acid-based formula and hospital stay or ER visit as part of the application process.
How Much Help Does the Fund Provide?
- Eligible patients can receive a one-time grant of $4,500
- Awards are limited to one per patient; and
- Awards are based upon a first come first-serve basis for as long as funding is available
Additionally, as previously communicated, Abbott has quantities of its amino acid-based formula, EleCare, available to support patients. This product is being released to consumers in need, free of charge, in coordination with healthcare professionals. Parents or caregivers in need should contact their healthcare professional for additional information.